Thursday, May 21, 2020

Tech Industry Forward at Tinder

First, the people I work with—they are silly, passionate, supportive, and I can always count on them to make me laugh from my belly multiple times a day. Secondly, the Tinder product is all about creating connections and meeting new people (whether platonic or romantic) and it’s a mission I’m proud to stand by.

What’s your story? I received my BA in Women’s & Gender Studies with a minor in Human Sexuality Studies from San Francisco State University. I interned for the Center for Research and Education on Gender and Sexuality during my senior year which resulted in a full time role post-graduation. I left C.R.E.G.S. to study for the GRE and GMAT when I randomly fell into recruiting. Fast-forward five years and I’m still in tech and currently enrolled in online courses through Cornell for Diversity and Inclusion in Practice for HR. I’m planning on completing the program by April 2019.

How did you get to this position? I was ready for a change of scenery from the San Francisco so I applied to tech recruiter roles in Seattle and LA. Thankfully, I found the role at Tinder and received an offer to join the Recruiting team. With my degree, I always dreamed of marrying my passion for social work with the tech industry. I volunteered to take on side projects in the diversity, equality and inclusion space, and after a year of conversations with my manager and higher-ups, I was offered the opportunity to be the first person in this role at the company. Being vocal about your passions pays off!

How does tech play into your position and daily work? We all use technology to get our jobs done but on top of that, engineers are the majority at my company and it’s my job to support them. Personally, understanding different people’s communication styles (slack vs. email vs. in person) is critical when it comes to building trust and getting buy-in for new programs.


More Info: jobs with comptia a+

No comments:

Post a Comment